Friday, July 3, 2009

I visited Florence last month and I loved the city but...

... I didn't like the airport I flew into!

I flew to Pisa airport, which is in Tuscany, about 1.5 hours from Florence. I used some "bad" airports in the past, but I have NEVER flown to an airport which is so disorganised like Pisa. I mean, this is Europe, Italy, this should be working fairly well but not in Pisa!

Basically, I managed to miss my flight from Pisa back to London due to following facts:

1. They don't call outgoing flights at Pisa airport - you actually have to keep checking the monitor all the time (apparently, most airports in Italy don't call outgoing flights - i.e. boarding, last call, etc.).

2. I hated the airport inside, past the security point. There is one monitor ONLY which shows the flights, the passport control is on a different floor just before the actual boarding gates, and I must have actually missed the flight because a group of Moroccan citizens needed their passports checked in so much detail that it took forever to go through the passport control. Italian passport control officers were SO slow, it's like they use different watches to measure time!

3. I could actually see the EasyJet gate personnel from my queue and yet none of them actually came to the queue to ask if some people were flying to London. It's truly shocking, I've never seen such badly organised airport.

Ok, yes, you might say "well, it's partly your fault, why didn't you ask to go in front of the queue?" or, "why didn't you keep checking the monitor", etc. I should have perhaps but I had no idea how bad it's going to be.

I have to say that I was lucky to get onto the next EasyJet flight to London Gatwick, which was about 1 hr later than the flight I missed. Full points to EJ for letting me change the flight, I had to pay €60 change fee but better than buying a new ticket to London...

Nevertheless to say, I will NOT be flying to Pisa again unless absolutely necessary :)